How to Root and Install a Custom ROM on your Cherry Mobile Nova using ROM Manager (Commtiva Z71 Variant)
UPDATE: It is not recommended to follow the steps below if you have updated to Cherry Mobile’s Official 2.2 release. This is safe to follow if you are on Android 2.1. (If you have updated to CM’s 2.2, go here)
1. Install Universal Androot and root your phone (download here)
2. Download ROM Manager (free version will do) from the Android Market
3. Open ROM Manager, and select Flash Clockwork Recovery (then choose Commtiva Z71)
4. Backup the current ROM also through ROM Manager.
5. Download your desired ROM of choice developed for the Commtiva Z71 and copy it to the root of your SD card. (meaning directly to the SD card, don’t put it inside any other folder.)
Here is a site you can choose several from:
(This site is dedicated to anything and everything about modding the Commtiva Z71 and its clones)
Remember you can only install ROM with the extension .zip if you’re using ROM Manager.
7. Time to install the custom ROM. You can do this directly from ROM Manager (install zip from SD card, make sure to select “wipe data and cache”.
OR turn off the phone, and press and hold the camera button + volume up + power button. Keep holding even when the phone turns on. Using the trackball, scroll down and click on Wipe data/factory reset – click yes to confirm.
9. Next, scroll down and click wipe cache partition – click yes to confirm.
10. Next, scroll down and click install zip from SD card – scroll down to choose the zip file you transferred.
11. Click yes.
12. Keep staring at the screen displaying the verbose.
13. Select “Reboot system now ”
Your Cherry Mobile Nova is now rooted and modded.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you end up bricking your phone. Rooting and installation of custom ROMs voids your phone’s warranty.